Street or Track Mustang Front Bilstein Coilover System
Market price: $2750.00, you save $100.00
The most advanced direct bolt-in coilover system for 65-73 Mustangs and other classic Fords.
Having had excellent results and customer feedback from our conventional style tubular control arms and Bilstein shock absorbers, we wanted to take things to the next level and offer even more control to our customers. Using the same race winning geometry as on our conventional tubular control arms we specified a couple of different Bilstein coil over shocks and designed our coil over system. Used by OEM’s such as Porsche and Audi, Bilstein also has a long street use and racing history. This is the perfect shock for such an advanced coil over system for your Mustang and classic Ford.
A quick benefits list of our coil over system compared to a conventional spring/shock arrangement would be:
- Easy ride height adjustment. Our shocks feature a threaded sleeve, simply rotate the adjuster with the supplied wrench to raise, lower or cross weight the car. No cutting springs, no guessing.
- 50% better motion ratio allows use of lighter springs and more shock motion for improved control. An improved motion ratio also has the side benefit that the forces directed through the spring and into the chassis will be lower. Less tower flex and chance of cracking.
- We've designed our system to feature super easy spring/shock removal. The entire spring/shock assembly is held on by 1 bolt on the top and 1 bolt on the bottom. No spring compressors, no swearing.
- Heim bearing shock ends further reduce bind found in the original suspension. This transmits road forces directly to the spring & shock allowing it to do what its designed to do and get the tire back on the road quicker for more control and better handling. Other systems on the market that use rubber or polyurethane shock bushings will bind during regular suspension travel and when the strut rod is used to move the lower control arm to set caster.
- Our upper mount installs from the underside of the tower and does not require the stock spring seat to be removed. Spring & shock loads are distributed into our aluminum spacer ring and spread around the underside of the tower, just like the stock spring.
Not satisfied with just picking an off the shelf shock that fits the space, we worked for a full year computing motion ratios, wheel rates, sprung and un-sprung weights, critical damping and a massive list of other variables to design our own proprietary Street, Sport and Race shock & spring combinations specific to the 65-73 Mustang and other vintage Fords. We do NOT use a standard 'off the shelf shock' that simply fits in the space and 'sort of feels right'. Each shock and spring package is designed based on the vehicles weight and intended use. Alongside the year of math, shock curves and shock dyno time we drove many, many street miles and 100's of laps on our favorite racetracks for a real world 'seat of the pants' validation of each combination from us and a selection of test customers.
The 3 shock valving & spring combinations available for our coil over system are:
We feel that this combination rides as close to a modern production car as you are likely to get from your classic. That was our goal and we feel we've met that. In fact even our shock tuning engineer was blown away at how nice our 1966 Mustang coupe test car drove down a bumpy, twisting Michigan road! Choose this system if you want a smooth yet responsive ride from your classic that you can drive for hours and hours without feeling beaten up. Due to the lighter spring rate used, this is also our recommended setup for dual purpose street or drag car.
We worked really hard on this package to design it for all those dual purpose street or open track cars out there. This package gives a smooth, crisp, controlled ride on the street but can also handle bouncing off the curbs and slick tires at the road course. Choose this system if you like carving around bends, on/off ramps and/or open tracking/autox.
For our race setup, the shock gets switched for one with a Schrader valve to adjust/set nitrogen pressure. With a shock inflator gauge like #LON50473 and a tank of nitrogen from your local welding supply store, this enables the customer to change gas pressure beneath the dividing piston. Choose this option for a dedicated track car. Our hired 'butt dyno' driver lapped 3 seconds quicker in his 1965 coupe when compared to times using his highly modified conventional front suspension setup. The stop watch doesn't lie. This valving can also be built into a Bilstein shock without the Schrader valve should you not wish to have the option to tune gas pressure but still want the race setup.
Set the rebound and compression at #1 and you have our Street valving, set both at #5 and you have our Sport valving, both at #10 and you have our Race valving! Feel free to play anywhere in between to tune the ride how YOU want. This all aluminum shock body w/spring is 1.6lbs lighter than our standard steel bodied Bilstein shock assembly and features ride height adjustment threads on the body instead of a separate sleeve. The aluminum body will lower un-sprung weight and shed heat quicker for longer lasting high performance.
Select valving under 'Options' in the drop down menu's above.
Double adjustable shock shown
All of the shocks used in our coil over system will give many, many years of service. When the time comes, the shocks are completely rebuildable/serviceable by us or any worldwide Bilstein rebuilder. You can rest assured that your investment in this system is one that you can easily maintain and enjoy for many years.
Now available with the 'Shelby Drop' built in!
Our standard shaft can be used in the original holes or in lowered holes. Standard shaft control arms will include our laser cut steel Shelby Drop jig for you to drill the lowered holes if you choose. Don't want to drill holes but want the benefits of the Shelby Drop? Easy, select 'dropped shafts' from our options list and we'll delete the drill jig and swap out the shaft for one with the drop built in! All our shafts are CNC machined from 4140 chromoly and then plated to not only be strong but look great!
Select this upgrade under 'Options' in the drop down menu's above.
Shaft Mounted Bump Stops
Below you can see our optional shaft mounted bump stop conversion. This NASCAR spec. progressive durometer bump stop installs on the shaft of our Bilstein shock and replaces the stock bump stop. This enables you to remove the outer spring tower cover and bump stop allowing a slightly lower ride height.
The stock bump stop is extremely hard and has a tendency to upset the handling of the car. The progressive nature of this bump stop slows down the impact when the suspension bottoms out, minimizing the unsettling nature of the impact.
Select this upgrade under 'Options' in the drop down menu's above.
Precision Ball Joints
Another exciting optional upgrade we offer to our coilover system is these high precision ball joints. These precision ball joints offer the precision of a spherical bearing with the misalignment range of a ball joint. Their rugged steel housings will withstand impacts that can destroy other ball joints. Plus, even if you manage to damage the joint, they are fully rebuildable. The alloy steel ball studs are process coated for low friction and long wear. You will feel the difference in smooth travel and easy steering effort.
Watch the video under the video tab then select this upgrade under 'Options' in the drop down menu's above.
Coilover System includes:
- Tubular .156 wall TIG welded upper control arms with replaceable adjustable length chromoly heim bearing pivots, 4140 chromoly cross shafts and easily replaceable Moog screw-in ball joints. Shipped with the front bearing 3 turns further out than the rear. This adds approx. +3 degrees of positive caster to the spindle when installed before having to shim the front bolt or shorten the strut rod. More or less is easily possible by simply adjusting the bearings in or out. Arms and ball joints are compatible installed in stock all the way down to 1-3/4" lower holes. 1" drop template included.
- Tubular .156 wall TIG welded lower control arms with replaceable chromoly, kevlar/Teflon lined mono-ball inner pivots and easily replaceable Moog screw-in ball joints.
- A pair of our Adjustable strut rods.
- Your choice of Street, Sport or Race valved Bilstein shock absorbers and matched Hypercoil coil-over springs tailored to your year vehicle. Spring and shock assemblies comes pre-assembled complete with thrust bearings.
- Optional double adjustable shocks available under the drop down menu below. Set the rebound and compression at #1 and you have our Street valving, set both at #5 and you have our Sport valving, both at #10 and you have our Race valving! Feel free to play anywhere in between to tune the ride how YOU want. This all aluminum shock body w/spring is 1.6lbs lighter than our standard steel bodied Bilstein shock assembly and features ride height adjustment threads on the body instead of a separate sleeve. The aluminum body will lower un-sprung weight and shed heat quicker for longer lasting high performance.
- Lower CNC machined billet shock mounting brackets.
- Upper laser cut, TIG welded shock mounting brackets.
- Upper CNC machined billet stock spring seat adapter rings - Installs over the stock spring seat negating its removal. No need to drill out the spot welds and hack up your car.
- Laser cut engine bay cover plates - Covers the hole for a clean look in the top of the shock tower that the stock shock used to go through.
- Hardware required to install the system.
- Spanner wrench to adjust ride height.
- Detailed instructions.
- STCO6566 fits 64-65 Comet, 64-65 Cyclone, 60-65 Falcon, 65-66 Mustang, 64-65 Ranchero,
- STCO6773 fits 66-77 Comet, 67-73 Cougar, 66-71 Cyclone, 66-71 Fairlane, 66-70 Falcon, 68-71 Montego, 67-73 Mustang, 66-71 Ranchero, 68-71 Torino. 70-77 Maverick. STCO6773 also fits XA XB XC and XD Australian Falcons
- Alignment required after installation.
Watch this quick YouTube video to understand the benefits of the Shelby Drop and our Dropped Shafts:
Watch this quick YouTube video to understand the benefits of this Camber Kit:
Larry SpradlinI put this coil over kit on my 66 Mustang GT fastback back in 2012. Liked it so much that in 2013 I bought another kit and installed it on my 65 Mercury Cyclone. Now that I have lived with this setup for 8 years I can tell you that this is a quality product that stands up to years of use and some abuse. Both cars drive great and are a joy to cruise the streets with. The Mustang I use at track events and the car just handles great.
Dan KI installed this suspension on my 65 coupe and it made a huge difference. I got the sport valving and do not regret it one bit. The ride is very similar to a modern car. It makes the car truly enjoyable to drive it doesn't wander or track at all. The install was easy I did not have to adjust or modify anything outside of the included directions which were some of the best directions I have seen. I even cranked the ride height up to give a stock look, and the suspension still performs great with a really nice ride. The car turns almost totally flat no roll like to old suspension would give.
Mustang JoeMy suspension needed a total overhaul. I also found my factory power steering -while trouble free and not leaking - a little vague, with some play in each direction before imput was transferred to the wheels. Was contemplating a borgeson or a call to chockostang, but decided to first address the suspension and see how the steering behaved after that.
I decided to rip off the band aid and went with the Street or Track coilovers. Not cheap but oh-my-gawd what a difference!
Shelby drop, coilovers with bilstein street, 1 1/8 sway bar up front. Matching bilsteins in rear with the one inch drop leafs in back.
The car has a MUCH more modern feel. In comparison to my newer mustangs that Ive owned, it reminds me of my old 2002 Mustang GT. Modern sporting feel, firm but not harsh at all. Not floaty.
I have 17s and had occasional rubbing over bumps and tight turns out of the driveway. Thats gone.
And the steering is now much more responsive. So much so that its off the upgrade list. It aint broke, so Ill throw that money at something else.
I just did this upgrade in December, and have put 500 miles on the car in the last month. Yeah Im happy
ThadThe suspension is absolutely awesome! It handles like a new sports car. I cannot believe how well it drives and how much safer the car feels with it. I LOVE IT!! Thanks!
ScottJust wanted to follow up with you since I was finally able to get the car out of the shop and drive it. This car is a completely different car. I can not tell you how much I enjoy driving this thing now. The suspension is firm but forgiving on bumps and from the driving I have done, I am amazed at how much better and more controllable it feels on the road. The car does not beat me to death any more on bumps.